Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Mandalas and Snow in Vermont


This week started with a 6 inch snow storm in Barre. I went to visit my friend TJ while April and Aurora had a "girl's only night" at our house with Patty and Halley.

On Monday I went to see some visiting budhist monks that build, and destroy, a Mandala of Health. I brought along a book of Andy Goldsworthy for them to see how there are other forms of ethereal art.

This same monday Aurora started day care - we call it school - she is 5 months old and 6 minutes away from April's job so she can breatfeed her, we are now all gradually adapting to her new enviroment. Times change and we must change with them, she needs to socialize and play with children her age. Amanda her teacher is very nice and caring, I am sure things will work out for the best.

Back in Barre, I had a good conversation with TJ over breakfast. As we were watching the snow falling over the maples and apples trees, both filled with color and apples, I pointed out that it was great to see how a season could manifest itself in the middle of another one. Winter is almost two months away and here we have a first taste. I take this as a sign of better times ahead for all of us. We live in uncertain times, between the war, the avian flu threat, the hurricanes and other niceties its hard to stay on track. However, we will always have monks, and books, and friends, and sunshine, and children and mozart, and trees to remind us that there is a better way. Its all about not loosing focus and understanding on which side we stand.